Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Welcome and introduction

I have felt compelled for a long time to publish a blog. Several friends have blogs and I appreciate the quick way to keep up with their thoughts and feelings. But here I am now, with nothing to say. The only thing I can think of to tell you is the origin of the name of the website. I have always been drawn to the "fiber arts" (kinitting, crocheting, spinning, weaving, etc), and so when I saw this line in Khalil Gibran's The Prophet, I knew it fit:

"And what is it to work with love?

It is to weave the cloth with threads drawn from your heart, even as if your beloved were to wear that cloth.

It is to build a house with affection, even as if your beloved were to dwell in that house.

It is to sow seeds with tenderness and reap the harvest with joy, even as if your beloved were to eat the fruit.

It is to charge all things you fashion with a breath of your own spirit,"


Much of Gibran's poetry speaks to me on a very personal and spiritual level. And so I hope that this blog will become a place for me to weave the threads from my own heart, and to have people add their own threads to this whole cloth we create.



2 comments:

Mrs. Chili said...

What a BEAUTIFUL introduction! I'm practically weeping.

I'm excited for you in this space. I find that my blogs are good ways for me to release frustrations, ask questions, posit theories and just be funny. My only advice to you would consist of two elements: don't censor yourself (if someone doesn't like what you have to say, they have the choice to stop reading) and protect privacy. That means yours and others'. I think up pseudonyms for most of the people I include in my blog entries and I never post pictures of my children (or of anyone else without their express permission). Beyond that, the sky's the limit. Let me know if you need any tutorials - I LOVE knowing how to post pictures and web links in my entries and I'll be happy to teach you how to do that, too.

More than anything else, I'm happy that you're here because it only increases the access we have to each other. You are such an integral part of my "village," and anything that puts us in closer touch can only be a blessing.

Kizz said...

I'm a little late on the draw but want you to know that I'm excited for more of this, too.