Monday, May 01, 2006

Bloggible bits...

I was telling the following story to a friend, who commented, "That's really bloggible." (or words to that effect). So here it is...

I was returning from Boston yesterday morning in my DH's truck. Not a vehicle I ENJOY riding in (it's big, has no power steering, and frankly smells like teenage, soccer-playing boy -- DH is a soccer coach). First of all, you should know that the toll on the Pike between Rtes 95 and 91 is $2.10 (remember this, because it will be important later). So there I was on the Mass Pike and handling myself pretty well, when I noticed the gas light come on. I had known I was going to need gas, but I hoped to be off the Pike when it became truly necessary. I didn't want the inconvenience of getting off the pike, paying the toll, paying $5/gallon, then doing the whole thing in reverse. But the next on-highway services wouldn't be for another 8 miles, and I didn't want to take the risk.

So I get off in Palmer, pay $1.55 at the booth and head off to get gas. The expensive stuff (which I always buy for our 10+ year old cars) is $3.05 here. By my standards, a wicked bargain! Woo hoo. So I fill up and get back on the highway, taking my ticket at the booth. Once I get back up to speed, I check the ticket, and the toll for the next section of the highway is $.45. So now, let's do the math. I stopped in Palmer and got gas, got back on the highway, then got off in Springfield -- $1.55 plus $.45 equals $2.00. If I had gone straight through, it would have cost me $2.10. I saved $.10 (plus the bargain gas savings) by getting off and getting back on.

Welcome to Massachusetts! Where life doesn't always make cents....

1 comment:

Kizz said...

I suspect someone needs to have a short sharp talk with the printer of the little tickets, but I won't tell if you won't. Either that or even someone with my ugly math skills could get a job managing toll hikes in MA.