Tuesday, December 11, 2007

A Holiday Meme

Just when you thought I'd never get back to this....well, I'm copping out a little bit. Here is a meme I cobbled together from two I recently received via email. Feel free to steal as needed.

1. Wrapping paper or gift bags? Gift bags when I’m short on time (which is all the time these days).
2. Favorite scent - pine or peppermint? Pine
3. Real tree or artificial? Real. We decorate our six foot tall ficus tree. He’s beautiful.
4. When do you put up the tree? Usually the Sunday after Thanksgiving, but this year, we had just gotten back from Alabama. We decorated Theo just last weekend.
5. Take the tree down? Early to mid-January.
6. Do you like eggnog? Oh yeah!
7. Favorite gift received as a child? Not sure about favorite at the time, but the two I always remember are the giant stuffed Snoopy I got when I was about six, and the stereo I got when I was about 10.
8. Do you have a nativity scene? Yes, it’s a porcelain set my father made. It means a lot to me, though not for religious reasons.
9. Hardest person to buy for? When I put my mind to it, I can usually come up with good stuff for everyone.
10. Easiest person to buy for? My husband, since he gives me a list, complete with Internet links.
11. Worst Christmas gift you ever received? At a Yankee Swap a few years back, I got a blue wine glass. Really ugly. I hate Yankee Swaps for many reasons, but this one really put me over the edge. Clearly a piece of junk someone was trying to off-load. Still bitter? Oh yeah.
12. Mail or email Christmas cards? Mail.
13. Favorite Christmas Movie? Lots of favorite movies, but the top two right now are “White Christmas” and “While You Were Sleeping”.
14. When do you start shopping for Christmas? Usually right after Thanksgiving.
15. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? No (see answer #11)
16. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? Cinnamon rolls on Christmas morning.
17. Clear lights or colored on the tree? Clear.
18. Favorite Christmas song? “Do They Know It’s Christmas-time?” still brings me to tears.
19. Travel at Christmas or stay home? Travel to my parents house and stay for several days. It’s like our home away from home.
20. Can you name all of Santa's reindeer? Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Donner, Blitzen, and Rudolph.
21. Angel on the tree top or a star? Neither (ficus trees have a rather rounded shape)
22. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning? Morning. When we were kids, my brother and I convinced my parents to let us open a present on Christmas Eve, but that’s because they bowed to our relentless pressure.
23. Most annoying thing about this time of year? That sometimes we are too busy to really sit and reflect on the true meaning of the season.
24. What I love most about Christmas? When we do take the time to sit down to share with family and friends, it’s really wonderful.
25. Favorite ornament theme or color? No theme or color. Just ornaments that have meaning.
26. Favorite for Christmas dinner? One year my parents did a prime rib. It was fabulous.
27. What do you want for Christmas this year? World peace, anyone?

2 comments:

Mrs. Chili said...

Aren't these fun? We used to decorate our ficus trees, but going to get a pine has become an integral part of our family's holiday tradition. When we were in the apartment, though, the fig trees served us just nicely...

Anonymous said...

Hi Threads from my heart and mr wayfarer too. A friend of Auntie Fran here. I'm just wishing you and all of yours the very best of the season. I know that your table is open and inclusive, I am there in heart. I'm sure Auntie Fran is as well. I do know that everyone in your home will be fed and loved. You do create a wonderful time of caring and sharing of all that is sacred. Enjoy it all. Much love to you and yours.

Laurie B