Sunday, January 20, 2008

Why I am busy (reason #23,645)

I am still busy at work on my New Year's commitments, along with knitting my dad a pair of Harry Potter socks, reading Teaching With Love & Logic, and the thousand of other things on my list, but one thing is distracting me.

A book group I belong to is reading Suite Francaise by Irene Nemirovsky. I plan to continue my 2008 record of reading every book before we actually meet (I did finish The Thirteenth Tale in time, and I recommend it). So far, I am on track. I am slightly more than halfway, and the book group won't meet until the second Tuesday of next month.

The book is wonderful. As I read, I am haunted by the thought that this amazing author didn't survive the war. Her life was cut short (along with millions of others) in the German concentration camps. Her writing is wonderful, and her characters are living, breathing people. I love it, and at the same time find it draining to my psyche.

Read it if you can. You won't regret it.

2 comments:

Kizz said...

I read it recently on the recommendation of my boss and his wife. I did enjoy it a lot and am still haunted by the characters. Plot-wise I felt a little draggy but I did keep wondering what the whole suite would have been like had she survived.

Mrs. Chili said...

I read it and I found it much the same as you're finding it - and as Kizz found it. Just wait until you get to the bits at the end - the letters and memos. You think you're drained now....