But give this a try for yourselves in the meantime. I'll be very interested to hear your versions..
The rules: Go to Wikipedia and type in your birthday month and day only. Then post 5 events, 5 births and one holiday that occurred on your birthday.
Five historic (and historical) events
1178 - Five Canterbury monks see what was possibly the Giordano Bruno crater being formed. It is believed that the current oscillations of the moon's distance (on the order of metres) are a result of this collision. [I included this one because it was Medieval Europe and that’s my historical speciality].

1429 - French forces under the leadership of Joan of Arc crush the main English army under Sir John Fastolf at the Battle of Patay. This turns the tide of the Hundred Years' War. [This one intrigued me because I was deeply affected by a visit to the Joan of Arc House in Orleans 6 years ago. A rinky-dink little museum, that really was quite impressive in what it was able to convey. See photo at right.]
1873 - Susan B. Anthony is fined $100 for attempting to vote in the 1872 presidential election. [Because this woman did so much for so many of us, and I will never take my right to vote for granted.]
1928 - Aviator Amelia Earhart becomes the first woman to fly in an aircraft across the Atlantic Ocean (she was a passenger; Wilmer Stutz was pilot and Lou Gordon,mechanic). [Another strong woman who blazed trails.]
1983 - Space Shuttle program: STS-7, Astronaut Sally Ride becomes the first American woman in space. [Is anyone sensing a pattern?]
Birthdays
1901 - Grand Duchess Anastasia Nicolaievna Romanova of Russia (d. 1918) [This must be why I was so moved by the animated/musical version of Anastasia. No, really!]
1942 - Sir Paul McCartney, English singer and songwriter (The Beatles) [I had a not-so-secret crush on him when I was 12, and when I found out we shared a birthday, I was over the moon!]
1949 - Chris Van Allsburg, American author and illustrator [Did you know this guy wrote Jumanji as well as The Polar Express.]
1952 - Isabella Rossellini, Italian actress [Next to Audrey Hepburn, I think she is the most classically beautiful woman in the world, the kind of only becomes more beautiful as she ages.]
1952 - Carol Kane, American actress [Have you seen Jumpin’ Jack Flash? “Well, shit! Welcome anyway!”]
Holiday
Seychelles - National Day [Not a really significant holiday to me personally, but check the links. This place is beautiful!]
So try it and have some fun. We all could use some right now.
1 comment:
I'll play, too - this seems like fun! Give me a few days, though - I've got vacation stuff stacked up in queue...
Post a Comment