I probably shouldn't be blogging this while it's so fresh, but it might help. My boss called me in and gave me "it's the economy, stupid" speech, then proceeded to cut my hours to 32 per week.
This is significant. It is a significant hit to us financially, I won't lie. But perhaps more importantly, it is a signal about the future of people with jobs like me. We're not going to fire you, because we don't want to lose you. We're just going to cut your hours so that you bleed to death slowly (see what I mean? it might be too soon). I mean, if we laid you off, you'd get things like unemployment (which might be the same amount of money I make after the hours reduction) and free time. We can't have that.
Anyway, I will be looking at this as an opportunity to push forward on finding another job. Once I stop crying....
Wednesday, January 14, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Oh, Honey!
Please stop, close your eyes, and feel my hug.
If there's ANYTHING I can do... ANYTHING.....
Agh. I'm hearing a lot of this lately. I'm sorry it's happening to you. Cry as long as you want. At least they're paying you for these hours.
Damn. I'm sorry to hear this - and I agree (sadly) about the way in which this seem to be the trend we're in. I keep wondering when it will all stop. Job reductions, less spending, leads to more job reductions.....
Hang in there. Sending love.
Post a Comment