Friday, February 02, 2007

Happy Brigid's Day

Though it's not mentioned in my "about", I do enjoy meself a bit of poetry. So today, in honor of the Second Annual Brigid in Cyberspace Poetry Reading, here are two of my favorites...


To My Dear and Loving Husband
by Anne Bradstreet

If ever two were one, then surely we.
If ever man were lov'd by wife, then thee.
If ever wife was happy in a man,
Compare with me, ye women, if you can.
I prize thy love more than whole Mines of gold
Or all the riches that the East doth hold.
My love is such that Rivers cannot quench,
Nor ought but love from thee give recompence.
Thy love is such I can no way repay.
The heavens reward thee manifold, I pray.
Then while we live, in love let's so persevere
That when we live no more, we may live ever.


And another by a favorite of mine....



Tavern
by Edna St. Vincent Millay

I'll keep a little tavern
Below the high hill's crest,
Wherein all grey-eyed people
May set them down and rest.

There shall be plates a-plenty,
And mugs to melt the chill
Of all the grey-eyed people
Who happen up the hill.

There sound will sleep the traveller,
And dream his journey's end,
But I will rouse at midnight
The falling fire to tend.

Aye, 'tis a curious fancy --
But all the good I know
Was taught me out of two grey eyes
A long time ago.



Thanks go out to two wonderful teachers (English and History) for introducing me to these two lovely women.

1 comment:

Wayfarer said...

I love you too, my darling!

Someday, I hope to write that well...