Ferguson is back from the vet, which is wonderful. The not so great part is that she turns her nose up at the special diet food they’ve put her on. So yours truly is making a custom blend of the special diet canned food, IAMS canned food (for flavor) and chicken broth (low sodium, low fat, of course) and feeding it to her off my finger. Yesterday I was able to get her to eat three times, a couple of tablespoons each time (most of the time, once she realizes how yummy it tastes, she moves to the bowl). This morning, she wasn’t so thrilled with my attempts, so I left it there and am keeping my fingers crossed. We’ll follow up tomorrow with our regular vet, and we’ll see how her kidneys are functioning.
She is on three medications, one of which needs to be dissolved in water in a syringe and squirted into the back of her mouth. Yeah. Really. That’s going over very well, as I am sure you can imagine. The other two pills are easier, and it helps that I follow them up with a yummy treat (which is NOT on her diet, but no one at the vet’s office seemed to object when I told them). One of the pills is regular old people Pepcid AC, but due to the dosage, I have to break it into quarters. Fun stuff, when you are dealing with a pill that is approximately the size of… well I can’t even think of anything that small. It’s small – like, birth control pill small. Oh, and I have to give her 100 mls of fluids subcutaneously every other day. With a big needle, and a HUGE IV bag. I did it once when I picked her up from the hospital, and I am looking forward to doing it again tonight. Good times.
But she is home. We are happy and so is she. Thank you all so much for your good wishes. I know that is what got us all through.
Thursday, May 10, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Good luck with all of that. We were fortunate that Small One didn't (doesn't) require anything more than special, kidney-friendly food. Still luckier is that a) it's available at our local Mega-Mart and b) all the cats can (and do) eat it, so we don't have to segregate Small One out of the herd.
I'm wishing you continued luck and good health.
-Chili
My dad arrived at my cousin's wedding dressed to the nines. Upon closer inspection he was covered in tiny pink dots. In his hair, on his clothes and skin. The result of inexpert syringing of Pepto into a greyhound. Still makes me giggle.
Here's hoping there's some levity in the trials you're having with the kitten.
Post a Comment