Maybe it's just where I live, but I am stunned that people are denying the reality of what our society is (and to my opinion should be). If I don't believe in divorce, does that mean my child should not learn that some children's parents are divorced? It's not like we're asking you to enter into a same-sex relationship.
Check out this link to the story....
sputter....sputter....gasp....
Friday, September 14, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I did not finish reading the article. However, whether I believe in the subject matter or not is immaterial. What I have always done with my daughter is given her the basics and filled in the blanks as she's gotten older and the subject comes up again. My responses are honest (as anyone who knows me can attest) and age appropriate. Would I be up in arms if our school presented such a video?? Don't really know. However, it would DEFINITELY be discussed, in depth (again, censored for age content)until understood or come to an impasse. Just my opinion, mind you! :)
“People who don’t want the school to show the video say, ‘We can teach our own kids.’ Sure you can. But who’s going to teach you?”
This, really, is the big question. If we have ignorant and bigoted parents, they're going to raise ignorant and bigoted kids. There's no discussion of SEX in "That's a Family!" - it's about relationships and kids feeling okay that their family may not look like everyone else's.
This just burns my biscuits...
Granted, I'm not exactly neutral on all of this.
But it's hard for me to figure out what's controversial about teaching kids that families come in all different shapes and sizes and that families have love in common.
Sometimes this country scares me.
xo
Auntie Fran
Post a Comment